Topics Covered


What else can a PropertEASE property report tell you?

A PropertEASE property report is mostly used to inform the user about the development potential of an allotment and any cautionary overlays that they might want to be aware of (e.g. flooding). Recently, we’ve seen a trend of people searching one address, then a singular report on all the allotments adjoining the initially searched address. We asked some of our users what they’re up to and we found that they were also using PropertEASE to make sure their neighbours can’t do something that might negatively impact upon their amenity and value. For example, they can’t block out their view or they aren’t going to build a block of apartments.

This new use of the PE property reports made me think about what other uses the report could be helpful/useful with. So I made a list..

Find the potential maximum building height of adjoining development – Find the maximum building height of every property adjoining yours to see if they can block out your views of build something to overshadow your backyard.

If the neighbours can subdivide or develop their property – No one really wants to live next door to a large apartment block, especially since you’ve purchased out in suburbia. You can search every property adjoining yours to see if they are going to be able to subdivide or do a unit development in the future.

If the block up the street is going to be redeveloped – So you find the neighbours can’t develop their property but what about those few blocks up the end of the street closer to the main road? You can find out very quickly if they can develop that property with a simple 5-second search using PropertEASE.

If your street has ‘character’ protection over it – Love the traditional character of your street with all of the beautiful Queenslanders? It might be worth checking that they do have some sort of formal character protection so they aren’t just going to be torn down and replaced with modern art-deco style houses.

Can you develop your own property – The obvious use of PropertEASE, everyone should know if their block has development potential whether that be a small subdivision, duplex or unit development. Imagine knowing the development potential of your site and what that can do to your equity!

How high you can build a house – The maximum building height for a Dwelling house is usually the same as what it is for a unit development. So you could use a PE report to see what the maximum height your house could be is. That being said, we always recommend checking with a town planner before you start going forward with any plans.

If you can have a granny flat and how big it is allowed to be – Granny flats, auxiliary units, secondary dwellings, they are becoming a very fast way to increase the value of a property. As seen in the below image, the last tab of our PropertEASE reports actually tell you how big (sqm) you can have an auxiliary unit/secondary dwelling and where it needs to be (metres from the Primary Dwelling).

Finally, in that last tab in our reports, it gives you some more specific requirements for the following:

  • Setback provisions for a Dwelling House on a Small Lot;
  • Setback provisions for a Dwelling House;
  • Setback provisions for a Multiple Dwelling Development;
  • Car parking requirements for a Multiple Dwelling Development;

Have you used a PropertEASE property report for something other than what it is traditionally used for? Or want to use it for some other particular reason? We’d love to hear from you so just comment on this post.

Author: Alex Steffan

Bachelor of Urban and Environmental Planning – Steffan Town Planning – 10+ years experience as a private consultant town planner.